Arsenal have revealed plans for a statue of club legend Dennis Bergkamp to be erected outside Emirates Stadium, joining the existing immortalisations of Herbert Chapman, Tony Adams and Thierry Henry.
Chief executive Ivan Gazidis revealed that the announcement was earlier than anticipated after a selection of photos of the statue under development were leaked on Twitter, but also took the opportunity to pay tribute to the Dutch maestro:
"It will be a fitting tribute to Dennis's huge contribution to the club that a statue will be on display outside Emirates Stadium in the near future. Dennis's quality and style of play will never be forgotten. He is a true legend of Arsenal Football Club."
Bergkamp himself, who scored 120 goals in 423 appearances for the Gunners, as well as picking up 3 Premier League titles and 4 FA Cups, said:
"I am honoured that this is going to happen. It makes me very proud. Everyone knows that I love Arsenal and that I had a fantastic time at the club."
The Dutchman also confirmed his plans to be present for the unveiling, which is expected to take place during the summer, but definitely before the start of next season.
Arsene Wenger also had kind words for his former number 10 following the announcement:
“He deserves that statue. I’m very happy for Dennis that he gets it. He has what we want to have at the Club: dedication, huge desire to win, and a touch of class as well."
Labels:
Arsenal,
Dennis Bergkamp,
England News,
News
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment